Wednesday, July 14, 2010

85 Cupcakes, 120 Cookies, and 25 Oreo Truffles later...


Finally.. someone asked me to bake for them again! Yay!
My neighbor asked me to bake for her daughter's graduation party, she wanted cupcakes, cookies and oreo truffles. Her school colors were maroon and gold (except sadly, maroon wasn't really happening.. so I ended up with red and yellowish). But the flavors and decorations were all up to me.
This was the third grad party I baked for, including my own, so I already had graduation themed cookie cutters from last year. Except sadly, the caps apparently look like Texas and the shooting stars look like chubby Lisa Simpsons.
(Shooting star cookie or Lisa Simpson? You decide.)
I love baking for other people, I suppose it's nice to hear from people other than your family that your baked goods are really good.. (Your family has to say that they like your food, right?)
I ended up baking White, Chocolate and Red Velvet flavored cupcakes topped with Confectioner's Sugar and Chocolate Fudge Frosting. I had never made Red Velvet cupcakes (or even ate one.. so this was very new to me.. cupcakes with no butter? eek! haha) Therefore, I decided to use Paula Deen's Red Velvet Cupcake recipe. I figured, Paula Deen is always synonymous with yummy tasting food because of the copious amounts of butter she uses, so her cupcakes must be good!

Here's the recipe:

Ingredients:

  • 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 1/2 cups sugar
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon cocoa powder
  • 1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
  • 1 cup buttermilk, room temperature
  • 2 large eggs, room temperature
  • 2 tablespoons red food coloring (I ended up using a lot less...)
  • 1 teaspoon white distilled vinegar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Directions:

- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line 2 (12-cup) muffin pans with cupcake papers.

- In a medium mixing bowl, sift together the flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, and cocoa powder. In a large bowl gently beat together the oil, buttermilk, eggs, food coloring, vinegar, and vanilla with a handheld electric mixer. Add the sifted dry ingredients to the wet and mix until smooth and thoroughly combined.

- Divide the batter evenly among the cupcake tins about 2/3 filled. Bake in oven for about 20 to 22 minutes, turning the pans once, half way through. Test the cupcakes with a toothpick for doneness. Remove from oven and cool completely before frosting.


No comments:

Post a Comment